Kent murder trial in Devin Topps’ death goes to jury

A King County Superior Court jury will begin deliberations Tuesday in Kent about whether Jorge Lizarraga shot and killed Devin Topps during a fight after a 2010 Halloween party.

Jessica Berliner

Jessica Berliner

A King County Superior Court jury will begin deliberations Tuesday in Kent about whether Jorge Lizarraga shot and killed Devin Topps during a fight after a 2010 Halloween party.

Jessica Berliner, senior deputy prosecuting attorney, told jurors on Monday during closing arguments that witnesses and evidence prove that Lizarraga, 23, killed Topps on Oct. 31, 2010 outside of a Kent home and is guilty of second-degree murder.

“The only issue in this case is identity,” Berliner said. “(Witness) Marlit Vela told you she saw the person that killed Devin Topps walk up to him, point a gun at his back and pull the trigger. If you do that, press a gun against somebody’s back and pull the trigger, you’re trying to kill him. And if he dies on the street like Devin did you’ve committed a murder…. Because Devin died as a result of that shot, there’s no doubt this is a felony murder.”

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

Vela earlier in the trial identified Lizarraga in the courtroom as the man who shot Topps.

Topps, 18, a popular Kentridge High School student and football player, became involved in a fist fight with another man outside the house party when prosecutors alleged Lizarraga pulled out a gun and fired multiple shots into the air, causing people at the party to scatter, before he walked up to Topps and shot him once in the back. Topps died at the scene.

Jurors heard from more than 40 witnesses during the six-week trial and saw nearly 170 exhibits.

Berliner told jurors the evidence included nine shell casings found by Kent Police at the scene that matched the gun Lizarraga had stolen four days prior to the shooting of Topps during a burglary of a Washington State Patrol trooper’s home in Federal Way. He then used that gun to shoot Topps. Detectives later recovered that gun in a Des Moines motel room where Lizarraga stayed after the shooting. Kent Police arrested Lizarraga in December 2010 for the murder of Topps.

“You have a credible, collaborated eyewitness who had no motive to lie and has no stake in this case,” Berliner said. “She was standing right next to him. Frankly, this is enough evidence for you to find the defendant guilty. But that’s not all you have, not by a long shot. You have significant circumstantial evidence in this case that confirms everything Marlit says.”

Berliner said the other evidence included witness accounts and text messages that show Lizarraga attended the party as well as the shell casings from the gun that he had stolen and the gun itself.

Defense attorney Walter Peale told the jurors during his nearly two-hour closing argument that the witness Vela didn’t get a good view of Lizarraga and didn’t even know his name until Vanessa Quiroz, another woman at the party, told her his name.

“Marlit doesn’t know whether it’s Jorge or not because she can’t see his face clearly because it’s pitch black out,” Peale said.

Peale said other witnesses descriptions of the shooter didn’t match Lizarraga. He said other men at the scene could have fired the gun rather than Lizarraga.

“Jorge may have been there but that doesn’t mean he’s the one that she (Vela) saw,” Peale said. “Vanessa reacted to a particular detail and expressed the name and in the shock of the moment had no reason to think it was anybody else, Marlit adopts the name. And then it became Jorge from then on.”

The defense attorney also argued that other people stayed in the motel room where Lizarraga lived and had access to the gun. He added it could have been someone else who did the shooting.

“Nobody but Marlit said Jorge had a gun at the party,” Peale said. “Nobody but Marlit describes Jorge as having shot the gun. Nobody describes Jorge as having any activity or any involvement with Mr. Topps. Marlit only describes a man in the dark, whose face she couldn’t see and whose clothing she generally recognized and described to someone else who in response to the description of the clothing said you mean Jorge even though she herself had not seen Jorge.”

Prior to the shooting, Topps had left the party to walk a friend to her car. Someone in a group outside the house made a comment to Topps that the  Kentridge star didn’t like. A second comment led to a fight between Topps and two other men before Lizarraga reportedly entered the fight and shot Topps once in the back.

Topps had signed in 2010 to play football at Eastern Washington University but didn’t enroll in the school because of low grades. He had hoped to enroll at Eastern in winter 2011. Nearly 1,000 people attended the memorial service for Topps three years ago.

Peale also tried to punch holes in the prosecutor’s accusations that the shell casings matched the gun and that the fingerprints found at the burglarized home matched Lizarraga.

Judge Patrick Oishi told jurors they had no minimum or maximum time frame for when they must reach a verdict. All 12 must agree on a verdict.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

File Photo
Kent City Council approves Stay Out of Drug Areas zone

Nine organizations signed letter opposing new ordinance as ‘not an effective option’

t
Slower is safer: Steps to increase traffic safety in South King County

11-mile corridor has a high number of collisions, many of them fatal.

t
Family starts GoFundMe page for Kent man killed in crash

Jose Ortiz, 55, died in March 28 collision; wife suffered serious injuries; police arrest driver of 2nd vehicle

Courtesy Photo, City of Kent Parks
Kent city leaders want bigger piece of county Parks Levy

Measure could go to voters in August; King County Council to consider levy this month

King County Correctional Facility in Seattle. COURTESY PHOTO, King County
Man, 22, gets 20-year prison sentence for 2022 Kent killing

Drive-by shooting outside bar on Central Avenue took the life of 29-year-old Kent man

File Photo
Kent Police arrest man, 22, for arson, assaults against girlfriend

Allegedly set apartment on fire and repeatedly beat 19-year-old woman

t
Kent man, 56, dies in two-vehicle crash March 28 in Kent

Police arrest woman for investigation of vehicular homicide; collision at 94th Ave. S./S. 240th St.

File Photo, Kent Reporter
6-year-old boy drowns in pond on Kent’s East Hill

Child reportedly had autism and was drawn to the water on March 25, according to police

Valley Medical Center in Renton. Photo by Bailey Jo Josie/Sound Publishing.
Layoffs at Valley Medical Center stem from loss of funding

101 nonunion employees were fired March 25 from Renton hospital that also serves Kent.

t
FBI honors teen girls who helped stop abduction in Kent

They rescued 6-year-old girl from man in July 2024 in parking lot of apartment complex

t
Kent Police Blotter: March 11-23

Incidents include naked female, robbery with a syringe, assault, harassment

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph, fourth from left, stands with the Kent City Council, from left to right, John Boyd, Toni Troutner, Zandria Michaud, Satwinder Kaur, Brenda Fincher, Marli Larimer and Bill Boyce. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Cost-of-living pay hikes approved for Kent mayor, City Council

A 3.6% increase boosts mayor’s annual salary to $219,720; part-time council members to earn $37,296 per year