Kent School Board election: Smith out of the race, but still on the ballot

Primary-election ballots mailed out to voters this past week include a contest for the Kent School Board of Directors District 5 position, but one of three candidates announced that he is pulling out of the race, although it’s too late to exit the ballot.

Dale Smith, 48, said in an e-mail July 29 that since filing to run for office his “employment situation has changed dramatically,” which led him to the conclusion that he could not “effectively serve on the school board if elected.”

That leaves Tim Clark and Dave Watson as the two candidates vying for the seat being vacated by Sandy Collins, who is retiring from the board after serving for 32 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

Smith said he notified King County of his decision to suspend his campaign and withdraw from the election, but did not do so before the official June 11 deadline. He also said he has not incurred any campaign expenses, received any campaign contributions or established any campaign-related financial accounts.

However, because of state election laws, Smith’s name will still appear on the ballot and he could still be selected by voters, according to King County elections spokesperson Megan Coppersmith.

“If he wins, he does advance to the general-election ballot,” she said.

Coppersmith said if Smith does move on to the general election and wins there as well, he would have to resign from the position if he does not want to serve, leaving the board to appoint a replacement.

Calling it the “awkward part of the process,” Smith said he would not serve if elected.

“It’s not fair to try and take something like that on and not do it well,” he said in a brief phone interview Wednesday, as a follow-up to the e-mail.

Smith, a geopolitical and policy analyst for Boeing Commercial Airplanes, noted his new role involves more travel and unpredictable hours.

“These are exciting, challenging opportunities, but they will not allow me to effectively manage my work schedule and travel requirements in order to appropriately campaign and, if elected, serve as a Kent School Board member,” Smith wrote.

Smith said he planned to continue his role as community co-chair of the school district’s Alliance for Diversity and Equity and would continue to work on social, equity and social justice issues within the district, especially for students at schools within the Kent-Meridian High School boundary.

With Smith effectively out of the race, the contest becomes a two-man campaign between Clark and Watson, though they must finish ahead of Smith in the August vote to make November’s general-election ballot.

Clark, 63, is a retired Kent school teacher and current member of the Kent City Council as well as a member of the adjunct faculty at Highline Community College. He also is a former president of the Kent Education Association, the union that represents teachers. Clark presently has grandchildren enrolled in the district.

Watson, 48, is a 27-year educator with experience in multiple districts. He currently works as a substitute in the Kent School District. His four children all attend Kent schools.

Clark has said previously his time on the city council gave him an understanding of the process and policy making, which combined with his teaching background make him a good candidate.

Clark, in earlier interviews, said he believes in hiring and retaining staff with high standards who can relate to a diverse population, continuing to focus on the role of technology, that achievement requires innovation and appropriate benchmarks and that athletics play a critical role in education.

Watson said he wants to help make the board more sensitive and responsive to the needs of the community. He also said the board needs to be more culturally sensitive in dealing with staff and students and that he would try to find ways to make the schools more efficient to make best use of limited funding.

Watson and his wife also presently have a legal complaint against the district regarding her termination as a para educator.

Ballots for the all-mail-in primary election must be deposited in one of the county’s 24-hour ballot boxes or postmarked by Aug. 18. Because Smith’s announcement came after the deadline to withdraw, supporters of the Clark and Watson are encouraged to vote anyway to ensure their respective candidates move forward to November.

Kent School Board positions are unpaid, four-year terms.

For more information on the role of the school board, visit http://kent.k12.wa.us/KSD/BD/boardintro.html


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

File Photo
Kent City Council approves Stay Out of Drug Areas zone

Nine organizations signed letter opposing new ordinance as ‘not an effective option’

t
Slower is safer: Steps to increase traffic safety in South King County

11-mile corridor has a high number of collisions, many of them fatal.

t
Family starts GoFundMe page for Kent man killed in crash

Jose Ortiz, 55, died in March 28 collision; wife suffered serious injuries; police arrest driver of 2nd vehicle

Courtesy Photo, City of Kent Parks
Kent city leaders want bigger piece of county Parks Levy

Measure could go to voters in August; King County Council to consider levy this month

King County Correctional Facility in Seattle. COURTESY PHOTO, King County
Man, 22, gets 20-year prison sentence for 2022 Kent killing

Drive-by shooting outside bar on Central Avenue took the life of 29-year-old Kent man

File Photo
Kent Police arrest man, 22, for arson, assaults against girlfriend

Allegedly set apartment on fire and repeatedly beat 19-year-old woman

t
Kent man, 56, dies in two-vehicle crash March 28 in Kent

Police arrest woman for investigation of vehicular homicide; collision at 94th Ave. S./S. 240th St.

File Photo, Kent Reporter
6-year-old boy drowns in pond on Kent’s East Hill

Child reportedly had autism and was drawn to the water on March 25, according to police

Valley Medical Center in Renton. Photo by Bailey Jo Josie/Sound Publishing.
Layoffs at Valley Medical Center stem from loss of funding

101 nonunion employees were fired March 25 from Renton hospital that also serves Kent.

t
FBI honors teen girls who helped stop abduction in Kent

They rescued 6-year-old girl from man in July 2024 in parking lot of apartment complex

t
Kent Police Blotter: March 11-23

Incidents include naked female, robbery with a syringe, assault, harassment

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph, fourth from left, stands with the Kent City Council, from left to right, John Boyd, Toni Troutner, Zandria Michaud, Satwinder Kaur, Brenda Fincher, Marli Larimer and Bill Boyce. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Cost-of-living pay hikes approved for Kent mayor, City Council

A 3.6% increase boosts mayor’s annual salary to $219,720; part-time council members to earn $37,296 per year