A Kent-Meridian High School graduate at the 2020 ceremony at the school’s campus. Similar drive-thru ceremonies are planned for this year in the Kent School District. FILE PHOTO, Kent Reporter

A Kent-Meridian High School graduate at the 2020 ceremony at the school’s campus. Similar drive-thru ceremonies are planned for this year in the Kent School District. FILE PHOTO, Kent Reporter

Kent School District plans drive-thru graduations at high schools

A Kentridge senior says district should use outdoor stadium like surrounding districts

While most surrounding districts are using outdoor stadiums for high school graduations this year, the Kent School District plans to do drive-thru ceremonies at schools similar to last year due to COVID-19.

That decision didn’t go over well with Kentridge High School senior Ally Haisch. Her comments were read during the May 12 Kent School Board meeting.

Haisch named all of the districts that have announced ceremonies at outdoor stadiums, including Auburn, Renton, Highline, Seattle, Tacoma, Lake Washington, Sumner/Bonney Lake and Issaquah. The sites include Auburn, Renton and Highline memorial stadiums, T-Mobile Park in Seattle and Mount Tahoma High School in Tacoma. Federal Way will use its memorial stadium with each student getting two tickets for in-person guests.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

“These districts are making efforts to put plans into place that truly is a celebration of the student,” Haisch said. “It is hard to sit back and watch district after district make the change to in-person graduation. Meanwhile, it feels like Kent’s laziness is shining bright right now and the people at the top do not care about our success as students and young leaders.”

Superintendent Calvin Watts during his May 12 report to the board confirmed that Kent will hold graduations in June at each school.

“We will celebrate our seniors with on campus in-person graduation ceremonies,” Watts said. “It will be similar to last year with each school able to accommodate required health and safety guidelines. It will provide graduates and families a chance to celebrate a milestone.”

But that’s not the type of ceremony Haisch and others want. She suggested using the district’s French Field next to Kent-Meridian High School where students could be socially distanced on the field and people could sit in grandstands on each side of the stadium.

“There are options for a more normal graduation as demonstrated by surrounding districts,” Haisch said.

Watts said district leaders looked into larger venues, including French Field. But he said under state pandemic guidelines, each student would be limited to just two tickets each. He said the accesso ShoWare Center, where ceremonies have been in the past, wasn’t available because it’s being used as a vaccination site.

“We recognize these are not traditional graduation events,” Watts said about the drive-thru plan. “But they can be held regardless of which phase we are in and they allow the largest number of family members to attend.”

Kent used drive-thru celebrations last year due to COVID-19 with temporary stages set up near school parking lots and families able to drive their vehicles near the stage and take photos of their graduate receiving his or her diploma.

Haisch wants more.

“Our district has done some great things, starting in-person school and students and teachers complying with rules and sports were successful in their return (this spring),” she said. “With so so many people able to get vaccinated, in-person school and sports being played. … why are we still having a drive-thru graduation?”

Watts said parent and students will soon be getting information from their schools about the drive-thru graduations.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

Cars drive northbound through the intersection of Southeast 192nd Street and 140th Avenue Southeast in Fairwood. An 18-year-old was driving over 100 mph southbound through this intersection on March 19, 2024 when his car hit a minivan, resulting in the deaths of one woman and three minors. Photo by Bailey Jo Josie/Sound Publishing.
Kent man who killed four in Renton crash pleads guilty to all charges

Chase Jones faces up to 23 and a half years in prison. His sentencing is set for April 25.

File Photo
Kent City Council approves Stay Out of Drug Areas zone

Nine organizations signed letter opposing new ordinance as ‘not an effective option’

t
Slower is safer: Steps to increase traffic safety in South King County

11-mile corridor has a high number of collisions, many of them fatal.

t
Family starts GoFundMe page for Kent man killed in crash

Jose Ortiz, 55, died in March 28 collision; wife suffered serious injuries; police arrest driver of 2nd vehicle

Courtesy Photo, City of Kent Parks
Kent city leaders want bigger piece of county Parks Levy

Measure could go to voters in August; King County Council to consider levy this month

King County Correctional Facility in Seattle. COURTESY PHOTO, King County
Man, 22, gets 20-year prison sentence for 2022 Kent killing

Drive-by shooting outside bar on Central Avenue took the life of 29-year-old Kent man

File Photo
Kent Police arrest man, 22, for arson, assaults against girlfriend

Allegedly set apartment on fire and repeatedly beat 19-year-old woman

t
Kent man, 56, dies in two-vehicle crash March 28 in Kent

Police arrest woman for investigation of vehicular homicide; collision at 94th Ave. S./S. 240th St.

File Photo, Kent Reporter
6-year-old boy drowns in pond on Kent’s East Hill

Child reportedly had autism and was drawn to the water on March 25, according to police

Valley Medical Center in Renton. Photo by Bailey Jo Josie/Sound Publishing.
Layoffs at Valley Medical Center stem from loss of funding

101 nonunion employees were fired March 25 from Renton hospital that also serves Kent.

t
FBI honors teen girls who helped stop abduction in Kent

They rescued 6-year-old girl from man in July 2024 in parking lot of apartment complex

t
Kent Police Blotter: March 11-23

Incidents include naked female, robbery with a syringe, assault, harassment