Prosecutors charge man in Federal Way killing of Kent teen

  • Monday, April 24, 2017 4:18pm
  • News
Prosecutors charge man in Federal Way killing of Kent teen

King County prosecutors recently charged two of three suspects in the drive-by murder of a Kent man that occurred April 11 at a Federal Way intersection in broad daylight.

Miguel Antonio Bejar, Jr., 21, of Kent, was charged on Friday, and Anontio Inda, 15, of Burien, was charged Monday morning in the apparent gang-related shooting. Both face second-degree murder charges. Bejar is being held on $1 million bail in the county jail in Kent. Inda awaits a decline hearing to determine if he should be tried as an adult.

According to charging documents, prosecutors believe Bejar and Inda – along with getaway driver Alondra Garcia-Garcia – are responsible for the death of Arturo Marcial-Alvarez, 19, of Kent. Marcial-Alvarez was shot multiple times and killed at 4:30 p.m. on April 11 as he exited a Metro bus at South Dash Point Road and Pacific Highway South.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

The lead Federal Way detective on the case wrote in charging documents that a green Honda Odyssey minivan, thought to be driven by Garcia-Garcia, followed the bus the victim was riding for 8 miles from SeaTac.

According to charging documents, Marcial-Alvarez got off at a bus stop near a used-car dealership and proceeded to walk toward the minivan. They state, Bejar, who was sitting in the van’s front passenger seat, fired a gun at the victim.

“Almost simultaneously, Antonio Inda, who was also inside the minivan, put his pistol out of the same front passenger window and also fired at [victim] Alvarez,” the documents continue. “[He] tried to escape the gunfire by turning around and running south, but he was hit with three bullets to the back.”

Police found one spent .22 shell casing in the area, however, five bullets struck the victim, and five bullets hit the cars behind him.

The suspects quickly fled the scene as the victim “picked himself up from the ground and walked around the corner where he collapsed and died.”

As medics tried to revive Marcial-Alvarez, police found a gun in his pocket.

The detective discovered later that the King County Sheriff’s Office had been in contact with Marcial-Alvarez as early as Feb. 10. He had, at that time, said he was in a “disagreement with some people and that he believed they had been looking for him, presumably, to harm him.”

Garcia-Garcia was arrested April 12 when Seattle police responded to a shooting in which Garcia-Garcia was involved. As police were investigating, they saw “Mama Pepa” written on her green minivan’s back window, which was also seen at the time of Marcial-Alvarez’s shooting.

Garcia-Garcia was arrested and charged with rendering criminal assistance. She denies any involvement.

Having just been released from jail on April 7 after serving a felony sentence, Bejar was arrested again on April 14 on an unrelated misdemeanor warrant, according to charging documents. Although he also denied being involved in Marcial-Alvarez’s murder, he told officers he was a member of the South Side Locos street gang and that there was an ongoing dispute between that gang and the United Lokotes, of which the detective claims Marcial-lvarez was a member.

“During his interview, Bejar told police: ‘Before the end of 2017, there’s going to be a lot of dead gangsters…’ ” charging documents state.

Sheriff’s office deputies arrested Inda at Highline High School on April 19 in Burien. He denied being involved in street gangs and knowing Marcial-Alvarez or having a connection to his murder. Police noted, however, he admitted he’d recently had an “altercation” with members of the United Lokotes street gang.

Bejar and Garcia-Garcia are scheduled to be arraigned May 1 at the Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent. Inda is being held in juvenile court and will be scheduled a decline hearing, where a judge will decide whether he should be prosecuted in juvenile or adult court.

Contributed by reporter Raechel Dawson, Federal Way Mirror


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

File Photo
Kent City Council approves Stay Out of Drug Areas zone

Nine organizations signed letter opposing new ordinance as ‘not an effective option’

t
Slower is safer: Steps to increase traffic safety in South King County

11-mile corridor has a high number of collisions, many of them fatal.

t
Family starts GoFundMe page for Kent man killed in crash

Jose Ortiz, 55, died in March 28 collision; wife suffered serious injuries; police arrest driver of 2nd vehicle

Courtesy Photo, City of Kent Parks
Kent city leaders want bigger piece of county Parks Levy

Measure could go to voters in August; King County Council to consider levy this month

King County Correctional Facility in Seattle. COURTESY PHOTO, King County
Man, 22, gets 20-year prison sentence for 2022 Kent killing

Drive-by shooting outside bar on Central Avenue took the life of 29-year-old Kent man

File Photo
Kent Police arrest man, 22, for arson, assaults against girlfriend

Allegedly set apartment on fire and repeatedly beat 19-year-old woman

t
Kent man, 56, dies in two-vehicle crash March 28 in Kent

Police arrest woman for investigation of vehicular homicide; collision at 94th Ave. S./S. 240th St.

File Photo, Kent Reporter
6-year-old boy drowns in pond on Kent’s East Hill

Child reportedly had autism and was drawn to the water on March 25, according to police

Valley Medical Center in Renton. Photo by Bailey Jo Josie/Sound Publishing.
Layoffs at Valley Medical Center stem from loss of funding

101 nonunion employees were fired March 25 from Renton hospital that also serves Kent.

t
FBI honors teen girls who helped stop abduction in Kent

They rescued 6-year-old girl from man in July 2024 in parking lot of apartment complex

t
Kent Police Blotter: March 11-23

Incidents include naked female, robbery with a syringe, assault, harassment

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph, fourth from left, stands with the Kent City Council, from left to right, John Boyd, Toni Troutner, Zandria Michaud, Satwinder Kaur, Brenda Fincher, Marli Larimer and Bill Boyce. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Cost-of-living pay hikes approved for Kent mayor, City Council

A 3.6% increase boosts mayor’s annual salary to $219,720; part-time council members to earn $37,296 per year