UPDATED: Striking Kent teachers rally Friday, still no contract; READ THE PROPOSAL

Kent teachers and supporters were out in force Friday morning at school-district headquarters, waving signs and making it clear they wouldn’t be going back to school Monday without a contract.

“I’m prepared to stay on the line,” Mountainview Academy teacher Lorraine Nixon said, amid the waving signs, if negotiators cannot come up with a workable contract.

“I feel I am doing the right thing thing for my students,” she added, in reference to two of the teachers’ demands – smaller class sizes and less meetings to ensure more time in the classroom.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

By all accounts, Monday will be a telling day for the Kent School District and its striking teachers.

On Thursday, King County Superior Court Judge Andrea Darvas ordered teachers back to their classrooms by Monday, outlining a series of stiff financial penalties for them and their union, the Kent Education Association, if they did not.

Darvas said that even if the teachers were correct in their demands, “they are wrong in their actions,” by striking.

“In short, they are breaking the law,” she said.

Under Darvas’ order, teachers who remain on the picket line Monday will face fines of $200 per day, retroactive to Sept. 8, the day of Darvas’ original ruling declaring the strike illegal.

The KEA also will face fines of $1,500 per day, retroactive to the same date, for each day that its teachers remain on strike starting Monday.

But out on the picket lines, waving signs and cheering, Kent teachers looked resolved in their stand.

“NO CONTRACT, NO SCHOOL!” protesters shouted in unison at one point, cheering as some of the vehicles that passed them honked in support.

The picket had the feel of a jubilant bake sale, minus the cookies.

Aside from the upbeat nature of the shouting, teachers didn’t seem to focus so much on the judge’s order as much as a contract.

“I don’t plan on crossing the (picket) line,” said Marilyn Young, a special-education teacher at Panther Lake and Sunrise elementary schools, who came with a small American flag to wave. The flag was one of many that teachers were waving that day, in honor of 9/11.

Young said she wanted to get back into her classrooms.

“Hopefully there are no hard feelings and we can come up with a contract,” she said.

Contract negotiations are scheduled to resume at 2 p.m. today.

“We want our teachers back in class,” said Kent School District spokeswoman Becky Hanks, describing the district’s commitment to wanting a resolution. “We know our (negotiating) team will work through the day.”

KEA spokesperson Dale Folkerts said negotiations are scheduled day-by-day and said further negotiations depends on the district, adding that “any rational person” would see that the union’s most recent proposal, which he said meets both the union’s class size goals as well as the district’s financial needs, could have ended the strike and it would be “ridiculous” to continue if the district insists on higher class sizes.

Thursday, negotiators had been at the bargaining table through much of the morning, with KEA presenting a contract proposal to district negotiators.

According to Hanks, the deadline on the proposal was noon that day, but by that time, the district hadn’t had a chance to fully go over the specifics outlined in it.

District negotiators at that point responded with a counter proposal, and the state-appointed mediator dismissed the meeting, instructing both sides to go to their respective corners and evaluate their numbers, returning to the bargaining table today.

Folkerts said the KEA rejected the district’s Sept. 10 offer because class size numbers still did not meet the union’s requests.

“It was trying to enlarge class size [from the union’s offer] instead of reducing them,” Folkerts said.

Union reps. have claimed their proposed contract is $277,000 less than the contract the district is proposing, but the district is refuting that claim, with Hanks calling it “false information.”

“We’re certainly willing to show them our data,” Folkerts countered, adding that the union sent the figures with the proposal. “I think they’re trying to dodge the issue.”

Hanks also claimed KEA’s proposal would cut $2,000 a year from the outlined salaries for first-year teachers, which is not acceptable to the district, as it wants to be competitive in employing top new teachers.

“We want first-year pay for teachers to be addressed,” Hanks said, of what will be on the table during today’s talks.

Folkerts said the decision by union negotiators to remove the stipend for first-year teachers was a cost-cutting method designed to take the focus from compensation and put it back on class size, but said it was a recognition obey the district that salaries are not where they should be.

“It sounds like the KSD is starting to realize they have a problem with compensation,” Folkerts said, adding “But that’s not why Kent teachers are on strike.”

A $1,000 increase to the “commitment stipend” of all other levels on the pay scale remained as part of the KEA proposal.

When asked if the district would be willing to bring in replacement teachers, if KEA members continue to strike, Hanks didn’t say yes or no, but stated, “We want to work with our teachers to resolve this.”

On the picket line, the buzz also was about health-insurance benefits, and if teachers would be on the string for them if they remained on strike.

Hanks said teachers who are in their classrooms by Sept. 15 will have their premiums covered for the following month.

Teachers who remain on the picket line past that time “have the choice of paying the premium themselves,” she said, adding that the Washington Education Association – the parent of the KEA union – has offered to assist striking teachers cover those costs.

Folkerts said the district was spreading rumors about losing insurance as a “fear tactic” and said there is a WEA policy in place that will continue coverage through a labor dispute.

“It’s not the district’s decision to to cut off insurance policy,” he said, adding “despite the district trying to scare pregnant mothers and cancer victims.”

Hanks said the District would no longer pay insurance premiums after Sept. 15, but said it was her understanding that the 1,484 KEA members who have selected the WEA plan as their health care provider would continue to receive coverage.

Reporter Brian Beckley contributed additional reporting to this story.

KEA’s Sept. 10 proposal:

09_10_09KEAPackageProposal


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

File Photo
Kent City Council approves Stay Out of Drug Areas zone

Nine organizations signed letter opposing new ordinance as ‘not an effective option’

t
Slower is safer: Steps to increase traffic safety in South King County

11-mile corridor has a high number of collisions, many of them fatal.

t
Family starts GoFundMe page for Kent man killed in crash

Jose Ortiz, 55, died in March 28 collision; wife suffered serious injuries; police arrest driver of 2nd vehicle

Courtesy Photo, City of Kent Parks
Kent city leaders want bigger piece of county Parks Levy

Measure could go to voters in August; King County Council to consider levy this month

King County Correctional Facility in Seattle. COURTESY PHOTO, King County
Man, 22, gets 20-year prison sentence for 2022 Kent killing

Drive-by shooting outside bar on Central Avenue took the life of 29-year-old Kent man

File Photo
Kent Police arrest man, 22, for arson, assaults against girlfriend

Allegedly set apartment on fire and repeatedly beat 19-year-old woman

t
Kent man, 56, dies in two-vehicle crash March 28 in Kent

Police arrest woman for investigation of vehicular homicide; collision at 94th Ave. S./S. 240th St.

File Photo, Kent Reporter
6-year-old boy drowns in pond on Kent’s East Hill

Child reportedly had autism and was drawn to the water on March 25, according to police

Valley Medical Center in Renton. Photo by Bailey Jo Josie/Sound Publishing.
Layoffs at Valley Medical Center stem from loss of funding

101 nonunion employees were fired March 25 from Renton hospital that also serves Kent.

t
FBI honors teen girls who helped stop abduction in Kent

They rescued 6-year-old girl from man in July 2024 in parking lot of apartment complex

t
Kent Police Blotter: March 11-23

Incidents include naked female, robbery with a syringe, assault, harassment

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph, fourth from left, stands with the Kent City Council, from left to right, John Boyd, Toni Troutner, Zandria Michaud, Satwinder Kaur, Brenda Fincher, Marli Larimer and Bill Boyce. COURTESY PHOTO, City of Kent
Cost-of-living pay hikes approved for Kent mayor, City Council

A 3.6% increase boosts mayor’s annual salary to $219,720; part-time council members to earn $37,296 per year