Jeffrey Nelson, at his hearing Dec. 20, listening to the judge decide whether there will be a new trial and judge recusal. Photo by Joshua Solorzano/Auburn Reporter

Jeffrey Nelson, at his hearing Dec. 20, listening to the judge decide whether there will be a new trial and judge recusal. Photo by Joshua Solorzano/Auburn Reporter

Judge denies retrial for ex-Auburn police officer convicted of murder

Judge Phelps said that Jeffrey Nelson’s arguments were not persuasive; sentencing set for Jan 23, 2025.

Former Auburn Police Officer Jeffrey Nelson will not receive a new murder trial or recusal of the court.

On Dec. 20, King County Superior Court Judge Nicole Gaines Phelps issued the ruling in the case for Nelson, who was the first police officer to be convicted of murder following the institution of Initiative 940, which changed the standard for holding police criminally liable for excessive use of force.

A jury in Junefound Nelson guilty of second-degree murder and first-degree assault with a deadly weapon following the May 2019 death of 26-year-old Jesse Sarey. After attempting to arrest Sarey, Nelson shot him once in the stomach and then once more in the forehead when he was on the ground. Sarey was the third person Nelson had killed as a K9 and patrol officer — the other two being 48-year-old Brian Scaman in May 2011 and Isaiah Obet in June 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

Judge Phelps said during the Dec. 20 ruling at the Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent, that after reviewing the arguments of Nelson’s counsel for a new trial, the defense’s claims that there had been prosecutorial and judicial misconduct were not persuasive. Phelps said Nelson articulated three issues, which he argues warrant a new trial: prosecutorial misconduct, violation of his right to a public trial, and the manner in which the court addressed jury deliberations.

Regarding prosecutorial misconduct, Phelps said that Nelson could not provide a burden of proof that misconduct had occurred. Phelps said the state’s jury instructions were given correctly, and the court did not make comments on them on the record. Regarding a violation of his right to a public trial, Phelps said that the juror had spoken to her, another judge, and a sergeant about an incident with a security guard, but that this was outside of the court and was not pertinent to the trial.

“The legal standard is that a court may grant a new trial if only from the record, it affirmatively appears that there’s a substantial right of the defendant that has been materially affected, and a new trial is necessary only when the defendant has been so prejudiced that nothing short of a new trial can ensure that the defendant can be treated fairly,” Phelps said. “In doing so, the record has to contain something more than a mere possibility of prejudice.”

Regarding the recusal of Judge Phelps, she said that Nelson cited various reasons why the court should be recused, with one of the main ones being that he believed the court coerced the jury into making a decision during deliberations.

Phelps said Nelson argued that the court used the word “forms” instead of “form” when count two had been decided on, but Phelps said the court had not been aware of the decision at the time the word forms was used.

Another argument Nelson made was that the court withheld to the state and defense the jurors’ decision of guilty or not guilty regarding count two until count one had been decided on by jurors. Phelps said this was done because decisions need to be shared in open court before counsel can know.

“Having addressed defense’s motion for a new trial and having addressed the defensive motion for recusal and having found that defense does not legally establish a basis for either, the court is denying both motions,” Phelps said.

She said sentencing would be at 8:30 a.m. on Jan. 23, 2025 at the Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@kentreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.kentreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

Jeffrey Nelson, at his hearing Dec. 20, listening to the judge decide whether there is a new trial and judge recusal. Photo by Joshua Solorzano/Sound Publishing

Jeffrey Nelson, at his hearing Dec. 20, listening to the judge decide whether there is a new trial and judge recusal. Photo by Joshua Solorzano/Sound Publishing

Jeffrey Nelson being taken back to jail after the judge ruled Dec. 20 there will be no new trial or judge recusal. Photo by Joshua Solorzano/Auburn Reporter

Jeffrey Nelson being taken back to jail after the judge ruled Dec. 20 there will be no new trial or judge recusal. Photo by Joshua Solorzano/Auburn Reporter

More in Northwest

Courtesy Photo, Renton Police
Renton Police Department expands vehicle fleet

Council approves purchase of 18 vehicles for $1.1 million.

t
New catalytic converter law aimed at deterring theft in WA

The new law also creates specific and real penalties for people who don’t follow the rules.

t
Federal Way woman indicted for scamming elderly Korean community

She allegedly spent nearly $1 million at casinos.

t
Federal Way hotels for homeless to be fully open by fall 2025

The two King County properties will function quite differently.

t
Sound Transit Board officially hires Dow Constantine as CEO

Annual salary starts at $450,000 which chances each year for high pay hikes

Two people from the video shooting at someone they saw in a parked car. Courtesy photo.
Suspects fire multiple rounds at parked vehicle in Federal Way

See the video: The shooting occurred March 16 at an Arco gas station on Pacific Highway near Kent

John Wilson. COURTESY PHOTO
Wilson criticizes Sound Transit’s choice of Constantine as CEO

King County executive candidate says ‘too many insiders taking care of each other instead of the public’

Sumo Dog’s The Godzilla was the favorite of the day at the Menu Preview Day. Photo by Ben Ray/Sound Publishing
Hall of Fame-worthy ballpark eats at T-Mobile Park in 2025

The Mariners Menu Preview Day brought local cuisine and legendary baseball dedications to the 2025 season, with opening day on March 27.

t
Two charged for February Auburn murder

Zaire Orr, 18, allegedly tried to rob the 19-tear-old man and then shot him; teen, 15, also charged

Through the trees at the empty facility designed to become a behavioral health crisis center at 822 S. 333rd St., the yellow signs of the roundabout in front of the Federal Way Community Center can be seen (middle right of photo). Council members and community members expressed concern about the proximity of the facility to the community center. Photo by Keelin Everly-Lang / Sound Publishing
Federal Way City Council says no to opening crisis center

Concerns include the location of the proposed center and potential increased police response.

(Screenshot/Courtesy of King County)
Fingerprint ID levy to go before King County voters in April special election

The levy would authorize an additional property tax for seven years, beginning in 2026.

t
Gravel pit’s future in Auburn includes major development

Segale Properties has announced plans to close the mining operation in 2026 or 2027 and redevelop the land.

You're browsing in private mode.
Please sign in or subscribe to continue reading articles in this mode.

Kent Reporter relies on subscription revenue to provide local content for our readers.

Subscribe

Already a subscriber? Please sign in